Our team continues to be here for you and your cherished pets. We are OPEN and are now able to provide a wide range of services. To learn more about the changes we have implemented in response to COVID-19 and what to expect during your next visit, click here.
Fleas are no fun for your pet or you! Understanding the flea lifecycle can help you keep your pet and your house flea-free. There are four parts to the flea cycle, including flea eggs, flea larvae, flea pupae, and adult fleas.
Once an adult female flea has feasted on her host (usually your pet), she can lay approximately 40 eggs per day. These eggs are then distributed throughout your house, usually around your pet’s favourite hang-out areas.
These eggs hatch approximately 2-14 days later and become larvae, which have an aversion to any source of light, typically making their home in warm, dark carpeted areas. See the video below!
The fourth and final life stage, the adult flea, is when we often see clients coming in for flea products. The best line of defence against an infestation is to stop this cycle BEFORE it starts with year-round protection on your pet. Including indoor pets, as we can bring in pests on our shoes and clothes.
Our knowledgeable staff are happy to walk you through the best options for your cat or dog. Come by our clinic Monday-Saturday, 8:30-5pm or call us at 250-754-8822 for more information.
Due to the close contact that our work requires, we have taken additional measures to protect you and our team while providing care for your furry family members.
The following changes are effective as of Monday, March 23, 2020:
1. We are currently operating a “closed waiting room” policy to protect our clients and staff. When you arrive, please remain in your vehicle and use your cell phone to call us at 250-754-8822. We will take a history from outside of your vehicle, and bring your pet into the clinic for an examination with the veterinarian. We will then return to your vehicle with your pet to discuss our recommended treatment plan. If you do not have a cell phone please knock our door to let us know you have arrived and then return to your vehicle.
2. We are continuing to accept appointments for urgent or sick pets, as well as time-sensitive puppy/kitten vaccinations. All other services will be scheduled for a later time.
3. We are still OPEN with the following hours: Monday to Friday: 8:45 am - 5:00 pm. Saturday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.
4. If you are ordering food or medications, please allow 2-4 business days as our suppliers are dealing with increased demand and are trying to fill orders as quickly as possible. We will advise you as soon as your order arrives. Please call us when you arrive to pick up your order, but do not enter the hospital. Our staff will bring your order to your car and take payment over the phone. You can also use our online store and have your food delivered directly to your home. To sign up for the online store, visit our website.
5. For the time being, we are not accepting cash as payment. Credit cards and debit card payments are still available.
Following the recommendations of our government and medical experts, we are doing our best to practice social distancing within the constraints of our roles. As such, we have taken measures to avoid both contracting and facilitating the spread of this virus.
Thank you for helping us be diligent for everyone's safety. As we have heard from all levels of government, the situation is fluid and any updates will be provided as changes occur.
- Your dedicated team at Petroglyph Animal Hospital